The school was born in 1893, on the farm “Glen Eland”, serving the children of the timber farmers settled in the area. These farmers comprised the majority of whites in the area. At that time the town was known as Hopetown and later renamed Kranskop (Afrikaans for “cliff head”). This school was to become known as Kranskop Government School.
The school was officially opened in September 1914. A Ms Conradie was the first head teacher. The total enrolment was 29 pupils and among them was the illustrious Philip Nel, who was later to become one of South Africa’s most respected and successful rugby captains.
The “head-teacher”, Ms Conradie, pioneered these early days..
As the school was rural the boys traditionally wore khaki shorts and shirts. The girls’ uniform, however, underwent several changes, this largely due to the absence of traditional school colours.
Curriculum of the school in the early days.
Amongst the subjects taught in the school were English and Dutch. The teaching of Dutch provided many a headache. This was solved by appointment of a certain Miss Nel to the staff. So English and Dutch were the only languages taught at that time.
Then on 21 September 1921, Afrikaans was introduced, this sounded the death knell for Dutch as a subject.
The original school was a wood-and-zinc affair in the garden of the school which later developed into the present brick building. Three prefabs were added as well to the school.
The head master’s house was added. The tennis court was developed into an all-weather court. All these changes had taken place over a period of time. The swimming pool was also added and was officially opened in 1966.
School history after democracy (1994 – 1999)
Traditionally, this had been always a “White Only” school. However, in 1995, after South Africa became a democratic Black learners were admitted for the first time in the school. Mr. Oosthuizen was the principal of the school during that historical period. The first Black Educator was Mr MS Yengwa, appointed in 1995 to teach IsiZulu. According to the school records Bhengu Nolwazi, was the first Black learner admitted at the school in 1995.
On the 6th of February 1997, Miss SN Mbatha was appointed by Mr Mkhabela, the SEM, to serve as acting principal of the school, after the departure of Mr. HA Oosthuizen. The staff remained the same as in 1995.
On 21 July 1997, Mr. D Lombard assumed as the new principal of the school. He remained the school principal until the end of 1999.
School History 2000-2014
Mr. R Maharaj joined the school on 17 January 2000 as the Head of Department (Senior Phase), assumed duty as acting principal and was appointed as principal in April 2001.
In 2000 the learner enrollment was 116 from Grade R up to Grade 7. Under his leadership, the enrollment improved from 116 in 2000 to 585 in 2013.
In 2003 Grade eight was introduced, the following year Grade 9 was introduced as well. Five years later, high school was also introduced.
The first Grade 12 class of 15 learners sat for their “Matric” examinations in 2011. A 67% pass rate was achieved.
As the learner enrollment improved the school required more buildings. In 2001 the school embarked on a fundraising campaign and built two classrooms, a staff room and the principal’s office. It was sponsored by Natal Schools Project.
In 2007 the learner enrolment also improved from the previous years and the school required more building. The school built a tin house as a temporal accommodation for the newly introduced Grade 10 class.
In 2010, the school built an additional two classes which become operational in 2011.
In 2011, the local business, Siyabonga Supermarket and Butchery sponsored the school with two classes made of face brick. These two classrooms are occupied by the Grade 3 learners from 2012.
In 2013, the tin structure was replaced by a brick building, funded entirely by the school. A tuck shop was incorporated into the structure.
In 2013, the Department of Education built an Early Childhood Development facility for the school. This facility was officially opened in October 2014 and includes a class, toilets and a jungle gym. This ECD facility is fenced off from the rest of the school.